A lovely friend of mine is heading back to Australia soon, so for our farewell dinner I made up this deliciously easy chilli-spiked recipe from Abel & Cole. The aubergines are roasted until creamy and topped with crisp chickpeas and a lemony tahini sauce. Followed by this Mixed Bean Chilli with crusty homemade bread, our vegetarian feast was set on fire!
Whole Roasted Aubergine with Spiced Chickpeas and Tahini Sauce; Photo: Abel & Cole
- 2 aubergines
- 400g chickpeas
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lemon
- 40g tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 large handfuls of baby leaf spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Put the whole aubergines on a baking tray and slide into the oven. Roast for 50 mins till soft in the middle.
- While the aubergines roast, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Tip into a bowl. Pour in 2 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle in 1 tsp of the ground cumin and a pinch of chilli flakes (our chilli flakes are hot so use as much or as little as you like). Season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the spiced chickpeas onto a baking tray in a single layer. Slide into the oven below the aubergines. Roast for 25 mins till crispy. Toss halfway through the cooking time.
- Juice half the lemon (keep the other half for later). Peel and crush the garlic clove. Whisk the lemon juice and the crushed garlic with the tahini and 2 tbsp cold water. Season.
- Check the aubergines are cooked by carefully squeezing the widest part. Cook a little longer if they feel firm.
- Split the aubergines in half like a jacket potato. Sprinkle on a little salt. Add a handful of baby leaf spinach. Scatter over some crispy roasted chickpeas. Drizzle over the tahini sauce. Serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 50 mins | Serves: 2