- 5 cups water
- 10 black teabags or 10 teaspoons looseleaf black tea
- 1/3 cup sugar or honey (or more or less depending on how sweet you like it) – I used brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla essence)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 10 whole cloves
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed to release seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Bring all ingredients to boil in a saucepan and then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain in a fine sieve and leave to cool. Decant into bottles or jars to store in the fridge.
- Mix with hot milk according to how strong you like it.
Makes 3 cups of syrup (6-8 cups of chai) | Prep: 5 minutes | Cooks: 30 minutes