This vegan Spinach and Mushroom Pie by Jasmine at Vegan Lifestyle Association, with it’s creamy filling and topped with mashed potatoes or filo pastry, is perfect for Sunday lunch or a mid-week dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 260g mixed mushrooms, diced
- 150g spinach, roughly shredded
- 1 tbsp flour
- 200ml almond milk, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 300g mashed potatoes or 1 sheet of Jus-Rol filo pastry
- 1 Tsp Wholegrain mustard (if using mashed potato)
- Fry the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes or until translucent, add the garlic and fry for another minute, be careful not to burn it.
- Add the diced mushrooms to the pan along with the soy sauce and for another 5 minutes, adding a little water if things start to stick.
- Add the spinach and cook until it has wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the spinach and mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the almond milk stirring continuously and cook over a low heat until the mixture thickens. Add the nutritional yeast and stir until it has dissolved into the mixture. Transfer to a baking dish or two individual portion dishes.
- Add the wholegrain mustard to the mashed potatoes and stir through so that the mustard is evenly distributed. Spoon on the mash or lay a sheet of filo pastry on top of the spinach and mushroom filling and bake in a moderate oven for 20-30 minutes.
Serves: 2 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cooks: 45 minutes