This super-simple vegetarian bake from Riverford Organic Farmers makes an excellent midweek, cold weather dish. You could eat it as a main with cabbage or other greens on the side, or if you’re carnivorously inclined, it goes beautifully with all things porky – sausages, a roast, pork chops…My swede was a little on the small side so I also added some other thinly sliced root vegetables (parsnips and sweet potato) that I had sitting in the cupboard, waiting to be used. Worked a treat!
- 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 leeks, finely shredded
- 4 large sage leaves
- 75ml white wine or apple juice
- 1 swede (800g-1kg unpeeled weight), peeled, cut in half lengthways, then very finely sliced
- 2 apples, cored, halved & thinly sliced
- 50g Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/Gas 4.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the leeks on a very low heat for 12 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the sage and wine or juice.
- Cook for 2 minutes. Season.
- Layer the swede, apple and leeks in a baking dish, finishing with swede.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Prep: 10mins | Cooks: 75mins | Serves: 4