I ended up with one too many pumpkins in my cupboard this week and so went in search of a way to throw them into a weekend dinner for the Captain and I. Inspired by Treat Yourself Sweeter‘s recipe and this cashew ricotta cheese, I managed to create a vegan twist on some soft roasted pumpkin with sweet caramelised onions and flaky pastry. Delight!
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- ½ cup cashew ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Pinch pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon almond milk to brush on the pastry
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 F), gas mark 6
- Coat the pumpkin in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the garlic salt. Place on a lined baking tray and cook until soft (approx. 20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, heat the onion in a pan with the remaining olive oil and cook over a low heat until they become translucent and soft (approximately 10 minutes) add the balsamic glaze, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes, then set aside.
- Once the onion and pumpkin are cooked, mix them together in a bowl with the pepper, parsley and cashew ricotta cheese.
- On a lined baking tray, place the sheet of puff pastry and cut in half. Share the mixture between the two halves of pastry and then fold in the corners into the middle to seal.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush with the milk. Turn the oven down to 180 C (370 F, gas mark 5) and place in the oven to cook for 10-15 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up and is golden.
Prep: 25mins | Cooks: 40mins | Serves: 2