I love a good curry, but if you, like me, have never heard of jackfruit until now, believe it or not, it works wonderfully well as a meat alternative. When it’s cooked it takes on similar characteristics to pulled pork, so pairs nicely with pasta bakes, in wraps, tacos, burritos and buns. Here, Abel & Cole‘s meaty jackfruit is curried with a spicy Jamaican jerk seasoning in a coconut milk and kidney bean-based sauce and served over a heap of fluffy basmati rice.
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 2 tsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 400g tin of kidney beans
- 400g tin of jackfruit
- 200ml coconut milk
- 150g white basmati rice
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml boiling water
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate the garlic cloves. Halve the chilli, flicking out the seeds and membrane for less heat, and finely chop. Roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large pan and bring to a medium heat. Slide in the onions and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally, till softened and slightly coloured. Stir in the garlic, chilli and 2 tsp Jamaican jerk seasoning and continue to fry for a further 2 mins.
- Tip the chopped tomatoes into the pan. Drain the kidney beans and jackfruit and add them to the pan. Pour in the coconut milk. Combine well and bring to the boil, then partly cover with a lid and simmer gently for 20 mins. During the cooking time, use a wooden spoon every now and then to break up the jackfruit chunks a little.
- Tip the rice into a sieve and give it a good rinse under cold water. Tip into a small pan and add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Pop on a lid and bring to the boil, then turn right down and very gently simmer for 8 mins, till all the water has been absorbed. Take the rice off the heat and leave it to steam in the pan, covered, for 10 mins.
- Stir the spinach into the jackfruit and beans till wilted. Have a taste of the sauce and add more salt if needed.
- Spoon the rice into a couple of deep bowls and top with generous ladlefuls of the jackfruit curry and serve.
Prep: 10mins | Cooks: 25mins | Serves: 2